Sunday, August 22, 2010

Extremism...part Three


Control. Judgment. Rigidity. Condemnation. Justification.
Self-righteousness. Absolutism. Fixed thinking. Ego. We
all have issues with these naturally occurring aspects of our
humanity. But if everyone degenerates to the lowest common
denominator, nobody wins. In taking a stand for what we find
to be a just cause, if we lose our humanity in how we treat
our 'opponents,' then we have lost sight of the bigger picture.

I can learn the most by allowing different points of view to
be heard. The minute I assume I know something to be true
beyond a shadow of a doubt, I set myself up as God because
I assume I have attained the highest understanding possible.
I assume that the answers to the world's problems are cut and
dried to begin with, and that I am intelligent enough to know
what is best.

I learn the most when I acknowledge how little I truly know.

In retrospect, I recognize that I was becoming as demanding
and intolerant as those I was fixated on fighting, and abandoning
my initial motives by virtue of becoming emotional, attack-based,
and condemning in order to 'combat equally.' Instead of making
a point, I lost my own.

It's not my job to control others. Not my universal dictate to
change people, save people, or promote my beliefs at the
expense of others' any more than I like others trying the same.
Believing oneself 'correct' doesn't excuse hubris. There are
people and feelings behind the debates. I have a friend to thank
for reminding me of what can happen if we allow ourselves to
abandon people in pursuit of principles.

We wouldn't kick a person who is physically sick because we
don't like their opinions or tactics; why would we kick or ignore
a spiritually hurting person? If our ideals don't apply to all people,
what do they really stand for?

What are we here for, in the end, if not to be compassionate
and loving to all our sisters and brothers--not simply the ones
who agree with us? I have been in a place where I could not
see the value of all people, so who am I to judge another for
being in the same place?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"When we see men of worth, we should think of
equaling them; when we see men of a contrary
character, we should turn inwards and examine
ourselves."
- Confucius
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Ineffectiveness of Fences in Modern America, Pt 1

 I grew up in an isolated, semi-rural smaller town on the outskirts of Tampa. Access to the Big City, but not a lot of influence in my  dail...